Wednesday 14 July 2010

Why Ghedalia Tazartes can get away with punching people in their graves

Because he is awesome. This is why I think he is awesome.

It's been years since music has given me that totally otherworldy, unsure-of-myself-help-me-I-feel-a-bit-sick-fuck-this-guy-is-dangerous-I-need-some-popmusik-to-calm-down heebie jeebies, nearly ten years I think - It hasn't happened to me since I first heard Disco Volante, which nowadays just sits among pop classics and doesn't scare the bejeezus outta me like the walls are made out of marshmallow horses with Hitler's eyes for brains and popes for hearts.

Fragmented dadaist tapeloops slammed together like you would when you can't be fucked getting a jigsaw right, covered in some batshit insane ululations, gurgles and wails - managing to be beautiful with no contrived sense of "this is the chord you cry at", and seemingly 'pop' about it all..

Generally, dadaist music tends to be too wavering and flouncy to have any emotional impact for me, and music with some kind of sense of humour to it usually ends up being irksome and overweight in its LAUGH NOW sentimental cockendedness - Here tho, Tazartes seems to be keepin' it pure, and it all comes across as total sincere, which is exactly how it SHOULD be, things going wrong all over the tapes, bummed notes, and just the wrong sample at the wrong time, the chaos in this is fuckin' masterful - seems far too removed from the idea of being odd to realise that he might be... a bit odd, saving it from the overcompensation found prevalent in 'wacky' music (which I'll argue this AIN'T)

Dude's voice just fuckin' screams aplenty of HEART, the guy knows how to sing the blues GOOD AND PROPER, albeit blues to no expected avail, and over a reality-monged sequence of tapeloops - proper I CAN SING MY MALAISE like a trooper blues, again-how-it-should-be-done: right.

Anyway, I'm no fuckin' journo, I don't know how to write about this stuff properly, all I done was got excited, beautifulllled and terrified whilst listenin' to the last track of Une Eclipse Totale de Soleil and felt I had to type some rambling ranting bullshit about WHY I THINK THIS MAN MAKES MUSIC I LIKE, not that I should even feel the need, but fuck it I had a spare 20 minutes.


This isn't off the album I was listening to and I don't own this, but listening to it now makes me think I should track this the fuck down

1 comment: